Pearson BTEC Level 5
HND Diploma in Business
As part of the formal assessment for the HND programme you are required to submit an assignment for each module. Please refer to your Student Handbook for full details of the programme assessment scheme and general information on preparing and submitting assignments.
Format your assignment by answering each task in turn, labelling each task, and subtask, with the appropriate number and letter. Please remember to put your name and student number on the assignment.
Unit 3 Organization and behavior
After completing the module you should be able to:
– Compile Marketing Audits
– Understand the main barriers to marketing planning
– Formulate a marketing plan for a product or service
– Understand ethical issues in marketing
Hospitality assignment help
Hyatt Hotels Corporation
(http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/index.jsp – please log onto the company’s website to complete this assessment. Navigate around the site to find the relevant information).
As Marketing Manager you are required to prepare a marketing plan to present to senior management for a new product or service targeted towards a business traveler. The structure of the marketing plan will be as follows:
CRM Assignment help
- An executive summary – this will briefly summarise the main areas of the plan and the product/service to be offered for sale to business customers. It will also explain why marketing planning is essential for strategic planning and factors that affect the effective implementation of the marketing plan, and how these have been taken into account in your plan (Remember this is a summary so keep it fairly brief.) (Assessment Criteria 3.1, 3.2, 3.5)
- An introduction – this will give the purpose of the plan. It will also include a review of the organisation in terms of changing perspectives in marketing planning and an evaluation of the organisation’s current capabilities for planning its future marketing activity.
Task 1 – Situational analysis:
- This will include an examination of techniques for organisational auditing and for analysing external factors that affect marketing. (Assessment Criteria 1.3)
- Carry out organisational auditing and analysis of the external factors that affect marketing planning within Hyatt Hotels. (Use the SWOT and PESTLE for this).
Task 2 – Barrier to Marketing Planning
- Assess the barriers to marketing planning and examine how Hyatt Hotels can overcome these.
Research project help
Task 3 – Marketing Planning
- Objectives – this will include the introduction of the product/service.
- Examine techniques for new product development for the business traveler
- Justify pricing policy, distribution and a communication mix for the new product/service contextualising this to the business traveler. (Assessment Criteria 3.1,3.4)
- Explain possible ethical issues that might influence the plan and analyse ways to address these. Consumer ethics such as false claims also needs analysing with a brief plan on how to deal with these issues. (Assessment Criteria 4.1, 4.2, 4.3)
- Budgets – keep this brief (sales and costs). (Assessment Criteria 3.1)
- Implementation – this will take the form of a chart and will include all activities including a final activity of monitoring and evaluating performance. (Assessment Criteria 3.1)
In order to assist with your learning and to give you some early feedback you are encouraged to submit a draft of your OUTLINE ANSWERS (i.e. not full answers – just a couple of sentences per section to show what you intend / plan to include in your answers) or a plan by making some brief notes/bullet points (or a mind-map/diagram if you prefer) under each task heading as to what you intend to include & discuss.
Cultural and heritage tourism assignment help
- You should respond to each of the report tasks in turn and present your answers in a suitable way that could be included in the marketing plan. Please see the assessment criteria grid (M3) for ideas / suggestions of how your answers could be presented. Throughout your answers you should take care to explain, justify and evaluate your ideas and knowledge of how the theories and concepts studied in the QCF Marketing Planning module apply to the organisation.
You should also underpin your analysis with relevant references to theory whilst at the
same time ensuring that you write your report in your own words as far as is possible.
- You should use diagrams and tables of figures where appropriate ensuring to reference their source.
- You should include a reference list and a bibliography using the Harvard referencing system. You must ensure that the submitted assignment is all your own work and that all sources used are correctly attributed. Penalties apply to assignments which show evidence of academic unfair practice. (See ‘Guide to Unfair Practice in Assessment’ on the module page on ilearn).
- It is advised that you write your sections of the marketing plan within approximately 3500 words in order for your research and summarising skills to be developed, and for effective time management. You are required to ensure that the assignment addresses all of the assessment tasks. There is no penalty for being over the suggested word count, however, in the interests of good academic practice, assignments submitted with excessive word counts (e.g. over 4000 words) may be returned to students and asked to be reduced before marking.
The word count excludes the title page, reference list and appendices. Where assessment questions have been reprinted from the assessment brief these will also be excluded from the word count. ALL other printed words ARE included in the word count. Printed words include those contained within charts and tables.
- Your assignment should be submitted as a single document. For more information please see the “Guide to Submitting an Assignment” document available on the module page on iLearn.
Recommended Additional Resources
Hart, S. J., Baker, M. J. (2008) The Marketing Book Sixth Edition Oxford, Elsevier
McDonald, M. Willson, H. (2011) Marketing Plans: How to Prepare Them, How to Use Them, Seventh Edition Oxford, Butterworth Heinemann
My ilearn Library
Hollensen, S. (2010) Marketing Management: A Relationship Approach 2nd Edition London, Prentice Hall
Wood, M. (2013) Essential Guide to Marketing Planning. 3rd edition. Pearson. UK
Ensor, J. & Ashford, R. (2008), Strategic Marketing: Planning and Control. 3rd edition, Butterworth-Heinemann.
Blythe, J. and Megicks, P. (2010) Marketing planning: Strategy, environment and Context, Pearson Education Limited
Nursing Assignment help
Journals and newspapers
The Financial Times and other daily newspapers which contain a business section and market reports
Harvard Business Review
Journal of Marketing
Journal of Marketing Management
Journal of Services Marketing
|Assessment Criteria for PassTo achieve a pass you must meet all of the assessment criteria as stated below. Failure to cover all of the assessment criteria will result in a referral grade and you be required to re-submit your assignment.|
Further guidance on completion of your assignment can be found in the guidance notes which are posted on the group learning space by your module tutor. For additional support please post questions onto the group learning space.
Descriptive content will dominate at this level
|Learning Outcomes/Assessment Criteria & Related Task||Criteria Met (you may wish to use this in your preparation for your assignment submission)|
|AC 1: be able to compile marketingaudits.|
|1.1 review changing perspectives in marketing planning||Introduction|
|1.2 evaluate an organisation’s capability for planning its future marketing activity||Introduction|
|1.3 examine techniques for organisational auditing and for analysing external factors that affect marketing planning||Task1|
|1.4 carry out organisational auditing and analysis of external factors that affect marketing planning in a given situation||Task1|
|AC 2: Understand the mainbarriers to marketing|
|2.1 assess the main barriers to marketing planning||Task2|
|2.2 examine how organisations may overcome barriers to marketing planning||Task2|
|AC 3: Be able to formulate amarketing plan for a product|
|3.1 write a marketing plan for a product or a service||Entire Report|
|3.2 explain why marketing planning is essential in the strategic planning process for an organisation||Executive Summary|
|3.3 examine techniques for new product development||Task3|
|3.4 justify recommendations for pricing policy, distribution and communication mix||Task3|
|3.5 explain how factors affecting the effective implementation of the marketing plan have been taken into account||Executive Summary|
|AC 4: Understand ethical issues inmarketing|
|4.1 explain how ethical issues influence marketing planning||Task4|
|4.2 analyse examples of how organisations respond toethical issues||Task4|
|4.3 analyse examples of consumer ethics and the effect it has on marketing planning.||Task4|
|Assessment Criteria for MeritTo achieve a Merit all of the Pass criteria need to be met, then the tutor will assess whether you have met the Merit Criteria. Each of the Merit criteria must have been met at least once within the assignment.|
The following statements are examples of how a merit may be achieved, if you do meet the Merit Criteria by showing you have reached this level in other ways then credit will be awarded for this. You will need to meet M1, M2, M3 at least once.
application & analysis will be evident at this level
|Assessment Criteria for DistinctionTo achieve a Distinction you have met all of the Pass and the Merit criteria. Each of the Distinction criteria must be met at least once within the assignment.|
The following statements are examples of how a Distinction may be achieved, if you do meet the Distinction Criteria by showing you have reached this level in other ways then credit will be awarded for this. You will need to meet D1,D2,D3 at least once.
analysis, evaluation & synthesis will be evident at this level