- BUGEN 5930
Business, Society & the Planet
Assessment 1 – Part A – Reflective Journal – Sustainability
- Over the first three weeks of this course, students are required to reflect on one or more of the sustainability-related themes explored in the course. These reflections are to be presented in a reflective journal. These themes (including issues, challenges, concepts and approaches) may be drawn from those raised in class presentations, discussions and activities, resources provided on the course Moodle page and/or readings from the course text.
In this assessment task, students are required to demonstrate not only their understandings of the themes but also their consideration of the personal relevance of these themes, their implications for the business sector and/or the student’s current/future role in business. Students should provide their thoughts, feelings, responses, reactions, opinions and ideas on the material explored. Critical thinking should be demonstrated in these reflections.
While this task is not a research task, sources referred to in your reflections still need to be referenced using the APA referencing style. For information on the style of writing required, please refer to the samples and guides provided on the course Moodle page.
This assessment task will be marked out of 100 and is worth 10% of your total mark for the BUGEN 5930 course. For information on how this task will be assessed, please refer to the attached Marking Rubric.
800-1000 words - (assignments exceeding the word limit may not be marked and may be returned to the student for re-writing; assignments less than the required length will risk not covering the topic adequately and may result in a fail). Do not include synopsis, references or bibliography in the word count.
Note: While a Reflective Journal will mainly comprise of your own thoughts and reflections written in ‘your own words’, Federation University Australia rules relating to referencing, citation and acknowledgement must be complied with for any content from other sources.
The assignment is due by Friday Week 4.
Students are required to upload their assignment as a Word doc or PDF (with the FedUni Business School – Assignment Coversheet attached) via the relevant Turnitin link on the course Moodle page.
- Reflective Journal – Marking Rubric Point Value
• application, analysis and evaluation of the ideas presented and the implications for business
• Arguments are clear and show insight into theoretical issues and how they are applied
• May include unusual insights. Arguments are well supported by reference to materials covered in course (or through research). Demonstrates clear and concise critical thinking and the ability to apply concepts to ‘real life’ situations, business and/or own experiences 30
Demonstrates some critical thinking , but the application of the concepts to business activities and own experiences are less clear 20
Details fewer concepts and ideas, and/or no application of these to ‘real life’. 10
Critical thinking – total possible 30
• Well-developed connections between content and thoughts, ideas, feelings, opinions , reactions and details, which shows evidence of personal reflection
• Describes personal application and responses to concepts discussed
• Provides comment on the personal implications (including for future business roles) Well-developed reflection; new ideas introduced and a good grasp of concepts presented. Shows the application of learning to connect new ideas to existing experience - to what was already known. 30
Shows some evidence of reflection, but not well-developed;
Some grasp of concepts presented and some application of learning to connect these ideas to personal experiences. 20
Not much thought or detail; shows little connection between concepts and personal impacts;
Little or no evidence of reflection or grasp of concepts; no new ideas given little application of learning to connect new ideas to existing experience 10
Reflection - total possible 30
• Submitted on time, well organized and well written. Including English expression, spelling, grammar, referencing (APA).
Well written, clear organization and planning, uses standard English grammar, well referenced where required (APA referencing style) 20
Inadequate due to lack of organization, grammar, and/or major spelling errors, incorrect or inadequate referencing 10
Presentation – total possible 20
• Writing clearly illustrates the sustainability-related themes from the course
Reflections are clearly relevant, and limited to, one or more themes discussed in classes 20
Reflection covers one or more themes from classes, but connections to the themes are less clearly illustrated 10
Reflection is general and/or vague or does not refer to concepts and ideas from classes 0
Relevance – total possible 20
OVERALL TOTAL POSSIBLE FOR REFLECTIVE JOURNAL 100