- COIT 20236
Assessment item 2 –Creating a Big Data Strategy…Decision Making using Big Data
Due date: Friday, 29 May 2015, 5:00 PM ASSESSMENT
Length: 3000 words (+/- 10%) 2
This assessment relates to course learning outcomes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 stated in the e-course profile.
Assessment 2 is an individual assessment. In assessment 2, you are assigned tasks which assess your course knowledge gained between weeks 1 and 10 about different facets of systems development. All students will have to write a report addressing showing the answers to the questions in tasks 1-5 below.
Please note that ALL submitted A2-reports are passed through a computerized copy detection system
and it is extremely easy for teaching staff to identify copied or otherwise plagiarised work.
• Copying (plagiarism) can incur penalties ranging from deduction of marks to failing the course or even exclusion from the University.
• Please ensure you are familiar with the Academic Misconduct Procedures, available from:
For the purpose of this assignment, you are assumed to be one of the Big Data Scientist appointed to identify a use case within your organization for Big Data solutions to support the Customer Intimacy business strategy.
Your task is to select a Big Data use case/ case study within your chosen organization which includes to defining the technology stack and required data and analytics architecture including the Master Data Management (MDM), ETL/ELT/data enrichment, data warehousing, BI, and advanced analytics requirements necessary to support the Customer Intimacy business strategy.
As a Big Data Scientist your role is to address following issues related to the use case you have chosen. Your report should address:
1. Why Big Data intelligence is important?
2. How Big Data management helps in IT Process management?
3. How structured and unstructured data can be merged for decision making?
4. What role social media plays in organizations decision making?
5. Your report should consist of 3000 words and use 5 scholarly articles.
Some of the Big Data Use Cases can be found at
The Report (Important: The report makes up 100 marks - scaled to 40%)
You will produce a report that aims to explain your Decision making using Big Data as per the layout and submission guidelines mentioned below.
Report Layout and Submission Guidelines
Students are advised to observe the word count limit to 3000 words.
• Title Cover Page with clear details of course title/name, student number/name, lecturer & tutor
• Introduction: Introduction must clearly define the aims of the report. Students should include following in the introduction:
Students need to define what they are going to talk about. Students need to show what they are trying to do with the selected use case ---the topic - the direction. Students should show what they are going to cover (and what they not, if required). Students need to give background information necessary to understand the report. Introduction must identify the project objectives.
• Big data Intelligence and its importance in Decision making.
Comparison between the use traditional Business Intelligence (BI) and BI Using Big Data
Justification for using BI using Big Data in the selected use case .
• How Big Data management helps in IT Process management?
Big data management helps in finding out required information for the organization. Big Data goes beyond traditional and relational databases. There are different technologies suited to process and store non-transactional data. For Big Data traditional and relational databases and non-transactional data need to be combined. In the process the decision must be done about what data can be kept and analyzed in order to improve current business processes or provide organizations with the competitive advantage. Managing different types of data is Big Data management. IT keeps the record of all the process and IT assets required by the organization. Define and discuss technology stack.
• How structured and unstructured data can be merged for decision making?
• What role social media plays in organizations decision making?
Social media is changing organization around the globe. The introduction of new technology and the evolution of existing technology have enabled efficient and broader communication. Social media has sparked thinking and behavior of people on a massive scale. Today consumers thinking have shifted towards their trusted network guidance rather than simple accepting what brands tell them. You are required to discuss the chosen use case for different roles social media plays in organizations decision making.
• Reflections and Conclusions
Present your reflections about the decision making using Big Data (e.g. achievement and constraints).
Provide a brief summary of your findings
• References (must complete by showing 5 references with their related in-text citations)
To help student members communicate, forums have been created for your use on the course Moodle website for Assessments 1 and 2. Please use them to help you work through your report.
Help on writing reports is contained in the Faculty Guide for Students – Chapter 4 – available here:
You may also benefit from a video supplied by the CQUniversity Academic Learning Centre available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0v9ekxeoko
Assessment criteria - Assignment 2 marking guide
Marks for Assessment 2 will be allocated as follows:
Assessment mark will be weighted to 40%.
TOPIC Weight Mark
Introduction (15 marks)
Clearly defines the aims of the report
Identifies the project objectives.
Organization (20 Marks)
• Explain the importance of Big Data in Decision making. Relate the decision making to selected use case. Identification and discussion done on Business strategy.
• Discussion on structured and unstructured data for decision making and the role social media plays in organizations decision making
Quality of Information (25 Marks)
• Selection of a Big Data Use case related to Customer Intimacy
?• Explain and define the technology stack and required data and analytics architecture including the Master Data Management (MDM), ETL/ELT/data enrichment, data warehousing for the use case.
• Justify the advanced analytics requirements necessary to support the Customer Intimacy business strategy
Reflections and Conclusions (15 marks)
• Present your reflections about the decision making using Big Data (e.g. achievement and constraints).
• Briefly summarise your findings.
Grammar Usage (15marks) 15
References (10 marks) 10