- Postgraduate Diploma in Information Technology
Paper Code: IT 812
Paper Title: Business Intelligence
Assignment 1: Write an analysis of uses of data warehousing, data mining and business intelligence, based on a study of recent texts, peer-reviewed conference papers and journal articles. Include an assessment of ethical and logistical issues associated with collecting and analysing business data.
Weighting: 30% of final mark
Form: word-processed via Blackboard (Safe assign)
Word Limit: 3000 words (total)
Conditions: Individual submissions
7.1 Analyse the potential and actual uses of data warehousing and data mining in organisations.
7.2 Identify and evaluate ethical and logistical issues associated with collecting and analysing business data in order to obtain business intelligence
This assessment requires you to write one research report in the style of an analysis. You may use articles used in class and supplement these with others or choose your own selection of articles. The articles selected must be firmly located in the information technology field, especially focused on Business Intelligence.
Contemporary articles should be sourced with an emphasis on peer-reviewed articles according to availability.
A format for your analysis reports is provided below. The emphasis is on critical thinking about the various aspects of the topics that the literature highlights and that relate to the learning outcomes above.
- Headings for Research Report (Analysis)
• Cover Page-your name and assignment details
• Table of Contents-listed main sections (and sub-sections if required)
• Abstract-a brief single paragraph overview of the whole research analysis report.
• Introduction-clearly states the aims and objectives of the research paper including any hypothesis assumed. Outline the rationale e.g. why are these issues important or significant in the profession (or research studies) you are involved with. Very specialised technical terms may be mentioned. Give an outline of the scope e.g. mainly what it includes (and more briefly what is does not include). Briefly describe how the report is structured.
• Topic Headings (or areas)-examples might be: Business Intelligence, Definitions of data, How the data is collected, Data Warehousing, Data Warehouse Structures (used to store and access data), Example Data Warehouse (of your choice to illustrate your knowledge), Data Mining, Key methods identified (briefly), How it can be used, What data analysis and reporting is, why companies do it, the human impact (privacy, security) and the limitations of any analysis (however thorough).
• Conclusion – Highlight significant findings and any implications that you believe should be noted by the reader. A critical viewpoint should be expressed.
• References-APA 6 A-Z listing of all cited literature. A small number of high-quality references strategically used is the main aim here.
• Appendices (if applicable) – any material that could not be included in the main body of the report e.g. large figures, tables etc.
Font: Times New Roman 12pt for paragraph text, 14pt bold for headings, with single paragraph breaks between paragraphs. Line Spacing: 1.5, Margins: 2cm all around Alignment: left-aligned.
- IT 812 Assignment 1 Marking Scheme
1 2 3 4 5 Possible marks Actual marks
Poor Fair Good Very good Excellent
Format, Sources, Register, and grammar
Basic and partially correct format, non-contemporary low-quality articles, scholarly language not used and poor attention to detail
Little evidence of smooth linking and logical linking
Basic and partially correct format, less recent fair-quality articles, scholarly language not used and poor attention to detail
Few sections smoothly and logically linked
- Clear and correct format, recent fair-quality articles, scholarly language partly used and good thorough attention to detail
Some sections smoothly and logically linked
- Clear and correct format, recent high-quality articles, scholarly language mostly used and quite thorough attention to detail
Most sections smoothly and logically linked
- Clear and correct format, recent high-quality articles, scholarly language throughout and thorough attention to detail
Sections smoothly and logically linked
Analysis and argument
Very basic analysis evident but no depth, critique or insight
- Some basic analysis evident but no critique or insight
- Good basic analysis lacking critique and insight
- Sound overall analysis with limited critique and insight
- 13-16 marks
- Detailed analysis with evidence of critique and insight
17-20 marks 20
Little or no evidence of any citations or reference list
Referencing skills minimally intact, inaccurate and with multiple errors
Referencing skills partially intact, partially accurate and used with some errors
Referencing skills mainly intact, accurate and well-used with some errors
Referencing skills fully intact, accurate and well-used no obvious errors
5 marks 5