The Developing Manager Assignment Help
Table of Contents
Inter Continental Hotel Group is company which is international being dedicated towards providing extraordinary services and an experience which is going to be memorable for its customers. So as a developing manager at Inter Continental Hotel Group, assignment is going to discuss about different management styles, evaluation of communication process inside choosen organisation and analysis of both culture and process of organisation. Assignment is also going to discuss about plan of career development and agenda for future.
Prepare a brief report based on your investigation of the chosen organisation consisting of following items
A. Compare different management styles that you may have observed and discuss the leadership characteristics of the senior managers
There are various leadership styles which are going to be practiced at different organisations as hospitality one being chosen to be inter continental hotel group. As managers or leaders of organisation attempt to choose set of theories based on the set of employees they are having, so following are the various theories of management being discussed as:
- Theory of Contingency: Decision of such a theory is based on current situation and things which suits best presently; accordingly action is taken by manager based on same. Managers at Hotel group are interested in accepting such a theory to come out of such situations where organisation is going down the line.
- Theory based on systems: Manager in such a theory attempts to understand clearly about working of systems and the manner in which systems are going to be affected. Various parts combine together for making particular system to achieve common objective. Different patterns and events as per such a theory at workplace are being observed with aid of managers and accordingly decisions are being made.
- Chaos Theory: Change is essential and consistent as well and certain cases which could be effectively controlled and other can’t be controlled so chaos theory changes are controlled very rare. As per growth of organisation, complexity increases as well and when complexity will increase then it is going to enhance energy for maintaining intercontinental hotel group (Johnson, n.d.).
- Theory X and Theory Y: Management theory is influenced on the basis of attitudes and beliefs of workers. As per theory X, managers are of the belief that workers are ambition less and incentive requirement is there for increasing their interest. Most organisations as hospitality industry are going to choose such management style for boosting morale of workers. Theory Y on the other hand is concerned with managers having belief that employees are interested in performing their task appropriately. Therefore, as per theory Y participative leadership style is used by managers and according to theory X authoritarian leadership style is effectively used.
In an organisation of large scale as intercontinental hotel group is required to have trained and efficient staff to run reputed branches all over the world. Therefore, such a hotel group is going to have adopted theory Y based on participative leadership style adopted by managers of organisation (Bolton, and Bolton, 1984).
Leadership is making people group for making them achieve common objectives so as to meet the goals of organisation. There are various characteristics of leadership which could be defined as follows:
- Leader is thought to be reactive.
- Leader should be having adjustable nature, being able to adopt newer situations.
- Leader is required to be effective communicator.
- Leader should be treated with respect by aiming to treat people equally with respect.
- Leader should have self confidence.
- Leader should be energetic, as well full of enthusiasm and should have nature of respecting others.
- Leader should also be resourceful and appropriately educated.
- Leader should not be egoistic and should accept feedback happily for making further improvement in employees.
- Leaders should have rewarding nature and being evaluative appropriately (HLC, 2009).
Leaders at Intercontinental Hotel Group are of the belief that appropriate training should be provided to employees of such an organisation so that similar level services are provided to everyone availing services of such hotel group.
B. Evaluate the communication process within the choosen organisation and analyse organizational culture as well as the process of change that is taking place in your organisation.
Activity based on which information is being transformed is ideas, feelings and thoughts from one individual to another recognized as communication. Communication is essential in every organisation and generating life in every business. There are basically two sorts of communication being verbal and non-verbal, where verbal communication is based on transferring information through sound and non-verbal is based on transferring information through facial expressions, etc. Different communication styles which could be used in hotel industry as Inter Continental Hotel Group:
1. Emotion based communication: It is related with emotions of people and people are judged on the basis of their communicating with other people.
2. Communication which is rational: Such a style is focused on information objective based and on information which is based on facts. Idea of listening carefully is encouraged in such a communication.
3. Communication based on intuition: Such a style is based on experience of speaker and the one which is based on experience there random decisions are ought to be made (Business Case Studies, n.d.).
Formal and appropriate communication in terms of written as memos, reminders or even conferences are used as medium of communicating amongst top brands of inter continental hotel group.
Organisational Culture is concerned as manner in which things are done in particular organisation. There are various sorts of organisational culture which exists as integral part of any organisation and helps in increasing profitability of particular organisation and those are:
1. Role Culture is favoured depending on role which is much peculiar than any individual.
2. Task Culture: Such culture is concerned with performing particular project.
3. Culture based on Power: Such a force is peculiar with power and is influenced through central force which is inside organisation.
Hierarchical structure which is tall and flat depending on size and type of organisation, wherein tall organisation exits in large organisations as in intercontinental hotel group and flat where decision making is in hands of workers. As IHG provides proper room to its employees to work as they desire in team by sharing each ones thoughts (IHG, 2014). Another is matrix structure which is based on certain project having combination of both flat and tall organisation structure (Anon (i), 2007).
In order to review your own potential as a perspective manager for this organisation
A. Assess your own management skills performances using the format provided by tutor and analyze your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
For becoming appropriate manager team should have proper management skills, based on guidance of manager and the particular skills of management as developing manager at Intercontinental Hotel Group is based on:
- Skills based on project Management: Ability of planning resources appropriately and managing them as well.
- Management Skills based on Time: This is evolved with controlling valuable resources and completion of task in appropriate time and time is allocated for tasks accordingly as well.
- Management Skills based on conflict: Such skills are appropriately used for managing conflicts.
- Skills based on managing self: Ability of employee to take decisions accordingly and setting priorities thereof as well by maintaining positive attitude thereof.
- Managing team skills: Such skill is used for motivating team, in delegation of tasks to team and development of team as well.
- Skills based on stress: Skills which are required for monitoring performance and employee’s behaviour and accordingly changes are made.
- Skills based on managing people: Skills are effectively required for listening effectively to people for solving conflicts and motivating people as well.
Management of Inter Continental Hotel group is at wide scale and requires having analysis of each and every skill mentioned above (Anon (ii), n.d.). This is going to help management to make its employees all over to produce similar services to customers for recognizing its brand.
SWOT Analysis is essential for analyzing personal ability of performing particular task in organisation and also for improving ones ability in performing particular work.
- Having proper knowledge of role being assigned in organisation.
- What is to be performed better than others.
- Network is strong concerned with connections.
5. What all resources are being accessed by one.
1. Habits which are negative.
2. Analysis of strength of competitor.
3. Having any of the limited resources such as time.
4. Improvement is required in training and education of self.
5. Having network connections which are weaker.
1. Proper training being accessed.
2. Effective use of latest technology in large scale organisations as Intercontinental Hotel Group for making process of delivering services more speedy.
3. Demand for skill should be analyzed effectively.
4. Feedback of customers regarding new services has to be generated effectively so that any changes further in providing services to potential customer could be made for making them satisfied.
5. Effectively analyzing opportunities of growth so that tour and travel industry could further make its mark by providing lucrative packages to them.
1. There are various external factors which affect job seekers search concerning newer work.
2. There could be strong competition with various jobs.
3. Internal analysis of competition with job positions being similar.
4. Professional standards which are out of reach for application of job.
5. Family obligations acting as hurdle in finding job (Gallagher, 2010).
B. Set and prioritize objectives and targets to develop your own potentials.
In order to set, prioritize objectives, appropriate planning is required. Planning is essential to set any sort of objective as with proper planning estimation of time to perform particular task is decided. It is further more essential to analyze what should be done entire day, with aid of managing time properly to meet essential objectives of organisation. Planning is essential in analyzing availability of resources thereof and also essential for achieving and setting targets. For developing own potential and setting relevant objectives as developing manager at Intercontinental Hotel Group would require making relevant changes in their system for continued success growth. This is will require working in making improvements in communication skills, garbing particular resources with effectively communicating with seniors of hotel group to provide proper services to potential customers. (Gallagher, 2010)
· To grab effective resources by effectively communicating with seniors or management of Hotel Group to analyze that appropriate services are provided to customers by different hotel involved in such group.
· To build effective relationships with people of organisation by knowing about them.
· For becoming proper analyst and developing manager at Hotel Group which is intercontinental requires grabbing knowledge of working culture as well.
· Also highlighting deadlines for successful completion of task (Cole, 2004).
Write a report based on your passed experience or future role in chosen organisation, demonstrating your ability to
A. Lead and motivate a team to achieve an agreed goal or objective
Team is group of people organized to work together individually to effectively meet requirements of their customers and are created for interacting for both long term and short term.
Responsibility for motivating team being developing manager in near future for intercontinental hotel group so as to make its working effective and for any new service to be effectively implied in such organisations, it is essential to make analysis of role of team which is explained by Beblin. Beblin seems to have nine roles of team which are further categorized in group of three as follows:
1. Action Oriented Roles:
o Shapers- Challenges to improve particular team and people who are extrovert are having best approach to solve particular problem.
o Implementer: Implementer is referred to those who are involved in making things complete. Team ideas have to be turned into certain actions.
o Complete- Finisher: Completion of projects is in hands of such individuals.
o Coordinator is one who has effective nature, also involve in providing delegation of tasks properly.
o Team Worker are those individuals who support and make sure team altogether works effectively and is involved in prioritizing cohesion of team.
o Investigator of Resource is those individuals who are innovative, negotiate resources of team, and also develop contacts.
o Plant: Individuals are innovative and introvert as well and prefer to work despite of team.
o Monitor-Evaluator: People are there to evaluate and monitor being brought by others in form of plant.
o Specialist is those individuals having specialized knowledge which is required for performing particular work (Mind Tools, 2015).
1. Team excited: Team has to discuss benefits of success, by explaining outcomes being positive for accomplishing objectives. For instance, by making team informed about increase in sales by 10% then in such a case hotel is going to generate revenue so as to provide bonus to team at time of Christmas. In this I could effectively motivate employees by making their effective contributions towards meeting objectives of organisation (Kruse, 2012).
2. Team has to be recognised: Plan of action is required for establishing cooperation between members of team as they are being forced to work altogether. This could be effectively done by introducing every member of team in social events which are outside team work by making arrangements of monthly happy hours to make members relaxed.
3. Leader which is effective: This is only possible in cases where environment which is created is comfortable; specifically mentioning that team has done good work and that leader should praise them. Keeping things excited as to write reports creatively (Frost, n.d.).
Above steps would be beneficial in cases where team would be motivated with the aid of these. Also team is going to be affected with skills and leader potential and leader is going to guide hotel employees accordingly.
B. Justify the managerial decisions you may have made or you would make to support the achievement of achieved goals and objectives.
- It is essential to understand responsibilities of management before involving one in managerial decisions as Intercontinental Hotel should assure that visitors are gaining relevant and ethical information on booking their room in hotels as well they are treated properly on entering hotel. So, managerial decisions which are going to be taken for organisation’s success but could have negative effects for the organisations as well if not considered with effect. So decisions would involve the following:
- Decisions to be made with reference to services offered by prospective customers in situations which are demanded change or any crisis situation and decisions are based on providing attractive offers to customers after recovering from crisis situation (Kruse, 2012).
- Decisions are also based on choice of advertising media and conducting advertising campaign as well.
- Decisions also have to be base on providing rewards to employees of hotel so as to achieve targets for working efficiently as providing those bonuses.
- Most important decision would be concerned with training of employees so as to attain successful future by inter continental hotel group (Cole, 2004).
In this manner with aid of appropriate decisions achievement of desired objectives by hotel group could be made as to inform about lucrative offers to its customers through corrective selection of media as rewarding employees timely for boosting their morale.
Create a career development plan for employment within the choosen organisation
A. Explain how your managerial and personal skills will support career development and set the agenda for future.
Development of career is essential for an individual as it is concerned with managing work experience of employees between organisations. Many organisations which are based on developing career offer both placement and informational assistance. Various programs are also offered by career development as planning, counselling and workshops as well so as to aid employees for maintaining their career (Bolton, and Bolton, 1984).
Managerial skills play a vital role in development of career as they are effectively used by managers so as to assist organisation in accomplishing certain goals. Managers are there for using their own knowledge, skill and experiences. Such skills are divided as human skills, technical skills and conceptual as well. Skills are effective for making development in career of the ones who are working in organisation as technical skills would affect efficiency of individual both operationally and technically on machines with effect. On the other hand human skills aid to make individuals smart enough to build relations and for doing work with others to attain certain goal and conceptual skills aid in making developments in nature to manage things and for effectively solving problems as well (Hartzell, n.d.).
Personal skills are there for making developments in personality of individuals and include advancements in communication skills so as to make flow of communication effective both inside and outside properly. Personal relations also become effective and being extrovert information is accessed readily on certain things and information is readily shared as well (Bolton, and Bolton, 1984). With aid of personal skills individual could enhance his/her learning capability and educational aspect as well which is necessary to run large scale organisation in a flow as inter continental hotel group.
B. Review career and personal development needs, current performance and future needs to produce a development plan with career goals and objectives.
Development of career is concerned with planning being proactive and implementing steps of action to achieve career goals. Development of career can be made with aid of appropriate use of career development plan which consist of implementation and setting of goals concerned with career. On the other hand personal development is concerned with long procedure through which individual qualities and skills are assessed effectively (Hodder and Stoughton, 1999). When skills would be developed personally then objectives could be attained thereby improvising quality. Personal development is essential for an individual to survive with full potential to organise time, produce personal CV, meeting hurdles and to handle them as well.
I, on behalf of being developing manager at Intercontinental Hotel Group, am required to evaluate current performance so as to build concerned organisation and the level to which I have reached in effectively performing my role in hotel industry. I have to for surveying possible flaws in such a hotel group have to deeply analyse growth of such an organisation and the barriers which have become barrier for its success. This could then be met by properly communicating with management team and asking about their reviews about the organisation and the satisfactory level they have till now achieved in organisation (Hodder and Stoughton, 1999). There development plan is essentially required to meet such objectives.
Report has effectively explained about various aspects concerning development of own potential in hotel industry as developing manager to make necessary developments in organisation. This involves proper knowledge of personal and management skills to effectively meet goal of organisation and is going to enhance potential of individual by matching it with requirements of role assigned in prospective organisation.Order Now for Assignment help on The Developing Manager