Unit 22 Office Solutions Development
Table of Contents
The assignment is about the surgery. They want to update their administrative system for give more efficient system for both staff and their patients. Currently they involve several tasks with their system. Recording surgery appointments, doctors to visit patients, storing patients and staff information, producing invoices, and financial handling are the some of them. Now they want to do these works more efficiently with a new system.
Answer Task 1 Part a
1. Recording appointments for patients to attend the surgery: Database software:
(See Appendix 1.A Part 1)
2. Recording appointments for doctors to visit patients at their homes: Database software:
(See Appendix 1.A Part 2)
3. Storing patient and staff details:
Database software, Spreadsheet software:
(See Appendix 1.A Part 3)
4. Contacting patients, medical suppliers, other surgeries, local hospitals: Communication software:
(See Appendix 1.A Part 4)
5. Keeping an inventory of medical supplies:
Database software, Spreadsheet software:
(See Appendix 1.A Part 5)
6. Financial data:
Spreadsheet software, Accounting software:
(See Appendix 1.A Part 6)
7. Producing invoices :
Spreadsheet, Accounting software:
(See Appendix 1.A Part 7)
8. Producing materials for staff training events :
Desktop publishing software, Presentation software, Word processing software: (See Appendix 1.A Part 8)
9. Producing information documents for patients:
Desktop publishing, Word processing software:
(See Appendix 1.A Part 9)
Answer Task 1 Part b
Word Processing Software:
Mostly suit for create high volume text documents also with simple single layer images. Easy to handle and learn so no need hard staff trainings. Can use for printing documents, create letters and so many text included documents. Desktop Publishing Software:
Mostly suite for design multi layer documents (images). To handle these kind of software need a special knowledge about particular software. So need special staff training. Can easily develop documents like handouts for marketing purpose. Also can develop text included documents, but not a high volume of text. Cost is high than the word processing software.
Answer Task 1 Part C
Bespoke software also known as tailor made software. It develops for specific company to meet its specific requirements. These software 100% meets the requirements of the customer. So there are no extra unwanted functions. Easy to handle. Commercial software always not meets the actual requirements of the specific customer. Therefore purchasing bespoke software give more advantages for company.
Answer Task 2 Part a
There are lots of advantages when staff involve for software development. The staff member knows very well what he currently do and what actually want. So he can produce the software actually he want. If we takeout as point wise, these are the benefits we can identify, Knowledge of the actual business requirements
User knows what he wants with the new system
Knowledge of how the current system works
It takes low cost than purchasing commercial software
User knows about the existing system, so it can do only adding more features to the system Can use staff time more efficiently
After user involved developing, no need extra staff trainings. After finish software will well match business requirements. After finish software will well match user requirements.
There will be greater user satisfaction
Increase the user moral
No user dissatisfaction after implement the software. Because of they made it Easy to test the software
Answer Task 2 Part b
Identify the business requirements
Answer Task 2 Part C
There are several areas to check that the system meet HCI requirements. Under those areas, we can create a check list for users to check if the system meets its requirements.
Check the software Functionality
Use of shortcuts
Number of steps to select a function
Check the Software is User Friendly
Mixing of colors
Ease of use
Places of function buttons
Security of software
What are the data can access for users
Structure of users
What are the databases
Maintainability of Software
What is the updating method of the software
How we find if we want updates
Special tools needs for maintain
Error handling methods
Solutions and Design meet the requirements
Is user manual helpful for user
User can easily understand the user manual
Are all functions working correctly
If any errors occur without error messages
Use of error messages
Answer Task 3 Part a
1. Create the document with empty fields for mail merge
2. Setup Columns for Mail Merge
3. Click on the Start Mail Merge and select step by step Mail Merge Wizard. Then Click Next
4. In the mail merge wizard, Click next with Use The Current Document
5. Select the excel sheet or database file to get customer data for mail merge. Then click next.
6. Click on the edit Recipient List. Then you can check if data for mail merge fields select correctly. If not change the fields as you want.
7. Select the place you want to add merge field and click on the insert merge field button. Then select the correct field name for insert to place you selected in the document. Do the same for rest of fields.
8. After insert all merge fields for the document.
9. Save the document
10. Then click finish and merge button and select edit individual documents.
11. Then documents are automatically generate until end of records in the file you selected for mail merge.
12. Create excel sheet for storing data for mail merge.
Answer Task 3 Part b
1. Open a new word document, in the view tab and go to macros and press record macro.
2. Give a name for macro and press ok (Name must not contain with special characters or white space)
3. Then go to reviews tab and click on the Spelling and Grammar. Then click ok
4. Finally go to macros and press stop recording.
5. Now macro is created successfully. Now open the letters and go to macros. Then run the recorded macro for spell check.
6. Spell and Grammar checking wizard will run. Do the changes what you want and save the document.
Answer Task 3 Part c
To enter data more efficiently can use several techniques.
Data entry forms from patients
Use of check box (Eg: Mail, Female)
Use of combo box ( Eg: Birth Date, Birth Year, Birth Month)
To check that the data entered correctly we can use data validation methods like, Confirmation message
Auto check for data duplications
Set Up the VBA Macro.
To verify username and password,
username given as the “amenda”
password given as “osd”
When opening the excel workbook, it shows the login screen.
If you entered user name and password correctly, it shows the confirmation message and enable the workbook.
If login not confirmed, it display the error message.
Appendix 1.A. Part 1
An appointment for surgery is more important. It needs to maintain carefully. No duplications or overlapping. Changing appointments times, getting records about the recorded appointments need to do easily. So most suitable is the database software. Appendix 1.A. Part 2
An appointment for a patient in must not duplicate or overlapping. And need to record, update and delete easily. Appendix 1.A. Part 3
No need to daily access for these details. So we can use a spread sheet software. And also can use database software, it can also record these data. But it take high cost than the spreadsheet software. Appendix 1.A. Part 4
Can use communication software like MS outlook for this. Also can use SMS software. Appendix 1.A. Part 5
Can keep inventory records by using database or a spreadsheet. Spreadsheets are low cost and database software can store more efficiently. If there is no problem about the cost, most suitable is the database Appendix 1.A. Part 6
To handle finance data we can use accounting software like sage. Or can use spreadsheets. Spread sheets are low cost and no need high knowledge to handle. But data in spreadsheets can be duplicate. Accounting software is more suitable for finance data. But it needs more cost and high knowledge to handle the software. Appendix 1.A. Part 7
We can produce invoice using spreadsheet of accounting software. If we use accounting software for store finance data, we can use that also to produce invoice. If use spreadsheet software then it can use to produce invoice. Appendix 1.A. Part 8
For staff training we need presentations, edited pictures, printed handouts and other forms...etc. for these things we need desktop publishing software like CorelDraw, Photoshop and presentation software like MS PowerPoint and also word processing software like MS Office. Appendix 1.A. Part 9
To create information documents, we need desktop publishing software and word processing software. Some information included graphical data. So need desktop publishing software. As well as for most information documents, we need word processing software.